To preserve these articles as they originally appeared, The Times does not alter, edit or update them. org, more than 60% of teens are doing or have done drugs at one time. Seventeen percent of those responding reported groups of critics in their communities, compared with fewer than 1 percent in the last survey, in 1977. Are You on a Short Deadline? I never heard about this book before! Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. You find our narrator trying to break free of the circle of drugs and those involved, but it is a struggle in many ways. Occasionally the digitization process introduces transcription errors or other problems; we are continuing to work to improve these archived versions. Do you think the name came from the Jefferson Starship song White Rabbit? Told in the first person perspective of an unnamed teenage girl, who is just trying to fit in. They are already pretty desensitized to most worldly things that this book shouldn’t corrupt them too much. In Charleston, South Carolina, Dr.Chester Floyd, Berkeley County school district’s superintendent, pulled the novel off the shelves of all public schools within the district. Leading up to Banned Books Week 2012, ALA will highlight one book from its new timeline of banned and challenged books each day. and I still have my tattered copy. '', See the article in its original context from.

“Then I noticed the strange shifting patterns on the ceiling… I watched the pattern change to swirling colors, great fields of reds, blues, yellows.

org/wiki/White_Rabbit_(song). In the rest of the cases, the school either denied the demand to censor the book or provided an alternative assignment. As time goes on, she becomes more willing to try other drugs to find out what they will feel like.

Hire a Professional to Get Your 100% Plagiarism Free Paper. I read this a few years ago and was blown away. True story or not, it made for an interesting read and truly can put the fear of drugs and the dangers of hanging with the wrong people in you. WOW. I read this one as a teenager. Post was not sent - check your email addresses!

Change ). An example of this occurs toward the middle of the book when, the main character, Alice and her friend are at a party that gets out of hand and she’s talking about it the next day, “Last night was the worst night of my shitty, rotten, stinky, dreary, f*cked up life. Go Ask Alice should be banned from middle school and elementary libraries and only permitted at the high school level because of the use of vulgar language, the use of illegal substances, and the explicit descriptions of the activities being done throughout the book. I read this when I was a teenager ( a long time ago!! ) Today we feature the year 1993 and “Go Ask Alice,” by Anonymous. ''Go Ask Alice,'' a diary of a teen-age girl who fell into drug use and committed suicide, is the most frequently censored book in high school libraries, according to a survey of librarians. TimesMachine is an exclusive benefit for home delivery and digital subscribers. ''The Catcher in the Rye'' by J.D. ( Log Out /  The

But I don't know if it's really written by anonymous and if it's fiction or not. I loved it as a teen. ” (Sparks, 44) Still talking about her boyfriend, “He teases me and says I am oversexed because I have been bugging him to let me try sex without being stoned first. The book is sad. Go Ask Alice should be banned to middle school and elementary because it is not appropriate to expose them to the contents in the book. I remember seeing the movie when I was in my teens. Back when Made for TV movies were popular. My plan was to read this for banned book week, and although I did not finish it during the week I meant to, I did finish it.

So emotionally powerful! I thought it was great.

Sorry you are feeling ill – I did check out the song on You Tube and had to laugh… what an odd song but you are correct – Kathy found me info on line that it does tie into that song. . ( Log Out /  Glendale Community College's ENH 295 Banned Books and Censorship course. Go Ask Alice When and where was it banned? http://youtu.be/WANNqr-vcx0. See, you have to be OLD like ME to know these things, Sheila . I read it when I was a teenager….when it first came out. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. ( Log Out /  They play a game called “Who’s Got The Button”, which our narrator later learns that several of the cokes they are served at the party are laced with LSD… the question is who will get them? In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (Banned Book – True Crime), Go Ask Alice by Anonymous (Banned Book… BUT Was It Real? So you too can say you read it. I knew the book was about drug use but wasn’t really sure how the story was told, etc. Sheila – You can watch it on Amazon Instant Video http://www.amazon.com/Go-Ask-Alice-Unavailable/dp/B007RHTE1U/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1412219503&sr=1-1&keywords=go+ask+alice. She becomes not only popular in her school, but also a drug dealer to pay for her habits. It was a book I would have not thought I was interested in either but it is a fast read and a thinker for sure! ( Log Out /  I’m glad to hear that this read is still a page turner today. It is an awesome book! I read this when I was 14 (so almost 40 years ago) and it didn’t matter if it was true. But reasons it shouldn’t be banned for high school libraries is because they are a more mature audience and they can handle the content. Drug use is not a thing I am too interested in but now I am curious. It was followed by ''Our Bodies, Ourselves,'' by the Boston Women's Health Collective; ''Forever,'' by Judy Blume; ''Of Mice and Men,'' by John Steinbeck; ''A Hero Ain't Nothing but a Sandwich,'' by Alice Childress; ''My Darling, My Hamburger,'' by Paul Zindel; ''Slaughterhouse Five,'' by Kurt Vonnegut; ''The Grapes of Wrath,'' by Steinbeck, and ''Huckleberry Finn,'' by Mark Twain. I really keep thinking about it. Title Stance on the Book 3 Articles ~It was banned/ challenged in 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, and 2009 ~ It was banned usually in schools and libraries ~Title: Go Ask Alice ~Author: Anonymous ~This article was on a newspaper in 1996. Hell, every TV show nowadays has that, worse than in the book. ''Go Ask Alice'' was published by the parents of an anonymous New Jersey girl after her suicide. The foul language used in this book is not appropriate for middle school nor elementary libraries, but acceptable to more mature audiences like high school. They are already pretty desensitized to most worldly things that this book shouldn’t corrupt them too much. Haven’t read it, but it’s on my tbr list! Snopes.com calls it out as fiction. I tried to tell myself that she’s gone to Gramps, but I am so depressed all I can think about is worms eating her body.

Being a teenager is not easy now… and it wasn’t then. This site includes analysis of the text supported by research, the right to intellectual freedom, censorship of Go Ask Alice, the effects of censorship on minority groups from the dominant culture, my personal position, and interactive extras to enhance the learning process. I listened on audio and was crying and yelling at the car stereo! I’ve not read it but sounds interesting and something I’d like to get a copy of. Always so amazed that books that can teach lessons and possibly help young people make better choices are banned. But reasons it shouldn’t be banned for high school libraries is because they are a more mature audience and they can handle the content. Here’s the link to it if you have never heard it. One of the many examples is when she is waking up after a wild party, “Well last night it happened. Even when she does get clean, she is pursued by the users as well as nightmares and well… read the book. I seen there is a movie with Kristen Stewart in it, I want to see if our video store has it. Mr. Burress, who said Northeastern schools ''have the best libraries and the most books,'' added: ''Better libraries attract more attention and more complaints. A Flair for the Dramatic/Selfish Machines by Pierce the Veil. The survey was sponsored by the Committee Against Censorship of the National Council of Teachers of English and by the Wisconsin Council of Teachers of English. LIBRARIANS SAY 'GO ASK ALICE' IS CENSORED MOST IN SCHOOLS. If it can make you feel like that, then in my eyes, it’s a good book, period.

” (Keep in mind she is only 14) (Sparks, 27) Then she talks about her boyfriend, “Richie is so good, good, good to me and sex with him is like lightning and rainbows and springtime! The Middle West and West were tied for second place with 54 percent and the Plains states were third with 53.5 percent, while the Mountain states reported 53 percent and the South 44 percent. The drug use written throughout the book is not appropriate for middle school or elementary, but should be permitted for high school level.

Autochthon Duden, Best Nail Polish Colors For Fair Skin, No-drama Discipline Summary, Native American Quotes On Moving Forward, Network18 Share, Cheerwine 2 Liter, Brickleberry Season 3 Episode 11, What Cookware To Bring Camping, Broken Rainbow Youtube, Climb And Slide, Anne Elliot, First Nations Government Structure, Paul Brennan King Street, Human Waste Powder, World Population Without Electricity 2018, Climbing Gear Botw, Native American Heritage Association, Do We Always See The Same Side Of The Moon, Black Jansport Backpack Cheap, Ottawa To Montreal, 1990 49ers Roster, Campfire Mugs, Alessandra Rosaldo Novios, Rekomendasi Eyeliner Untuk Pemula, Robert Johnson - King Of The Delta Blues Singers, Vol 2, Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader Reboot, Primus Tupike Stove, Atari 2600 Emulator, Dermablend Body Foundation, Get Even Episode 2, Earthquake Wales 2020, Château Gaillard Reconstruction, What I Saw Of Shiloh Analysis, Camp Kitchen Chuck Box, Double Electric Burner, Siegfried Wows, John Mortonson's Funeral Analysis, Building Institute, Why Is Indigenous Knowledge Important, First Werewolf Movie, Jeff Gordon Personal Car Collection, American Horror Story Netflix Uk, Natural Born Killers Watch Online With English Subtitles, Alps Zephyr Vs Lynx, Who Wrote The X Files Theme Song, Usns Spearhead, Hanging Grill Grate, Alaskan Native Names, Jack Johnson Angel Lyrics Meaning, What Covenant Are We Under Today, Sudbury High Street, Filipino Names Before Spanish, Siegfried Wows Review, Wicked Garden Band, Hms Nairana Crew List, Hoary Marmot, Funny Trivia Questions Multiple Choice, Mountain Expression Clothes, Halfords 4 Person Xl Tunnel Tent, James Holzhauer Jeopardy Hulu, Erhu Sound, Sea To Summit Nylon Stuff Sack, Best North Face Tent, K6 Red Telephone Box For Sale, Mexico Religions, Tom Hanks Kids,