Before she joined the team in 2018 she worked at WILX in Lansing as a digital producer. By Associated Press , Wire Service Content Aug. 21, 2020 The quake depth was updated to 5.7 miles. The 3.2-magnitude earthquake was recorded Friday evening south-southeast of Detroit Beach near Monroe by the U.S. Geological Survey, about two miles south of the nuclear plant. I have never felt anything like that before.”. A magnitude 3.2 quake is considered minor and generally does not cause damage, said Dongdong Yao, a postdoctoral research fellow affiliated with the University of Michigan who has studied seismic activity in the region. I asked my husband if he felt the shaking and he said no, but he guessed that if I felt it, it had to have been an earthquake. Depth was determined to be 9.2 km, or about 5.71 miles. It’s not the only thing that’s been crazy about this year. The USGS initially reported the quake as reaching 3.4 magnitude. Your California Privacy Rights / Privacy Policy. Like I said I don’t remember feeling anything just remember the dog going crazy!”, “All of our windows in the house shook after a wave of loud noise, which lasted for about ten seconds. The 3.6 magnitude earthquake hit near Amherstburg, Ontario, at 8:01 p.m., the United States Geological Survey reported. The earthquake, rare for Michigan, occurred at 6:55 p.m just off the shoreline of Sterling State Park, according to USGS. I can’t say that ‘I felt it’ - but it caused alarm for sure as it was not like anything I’d heard before. I’ve had similar experiences with other Michigan earthquakes.”, “I was in the house by our front door and heard something that sounded like a HUGE BOOM - thought perhaps a very large semi truck on the road rammed into something. Yao said the temblor was unusual: "If you look back 20 years, this type of earthquake is very rare in this region. We initially thought it was a plane crash or explosion.”, “We were sitting in the kitchen and it sounded like something hit the back of the house. 3.2 earthquake - 2 km SSE of Detroit Beach, Michigan (USA) on Friday, 21 August 2020 Aug 21 23:41 : Magnitude recalculated from 3.4 to 3.2. In April 2018, a magnitude 3.6 quake originated near Amherstburg, Ontario, across the Detroit River, some 15.5 miles south of Detroit It was felt at least 40 miles away in parts of Downriver and Dearborn. We figured then it was an earthquake -- which was confirmed by you folks on WDIV alert a short time later.”, “I was watching tv with my husband and it was around five minutes to seven when I felt my house shake and things rattle. (@Joel_Fritsma) August 21, 2020 The tremors were mostly felt around Monroe County, and south of Detroit, all over the Downriver area. The tremors did not appear to have affected the Fermi 2 nuclear power plant in Monroe County, which DTE Energy Co. runs. The east side of my house felt like something had hit my house. "We remain in a safe, stable condition and we’re at 100% power," spokesman Stephen Tait said Friday night. All rights reserved. We’ve received a long list of firsthand accounts from Friday (Aug. 21, 2020) evening’s earthquake in southeastern Michigan.. Then we heard like a subtle knocking sound (sounded like someone was knocking at the door lightly) and the house shook for like a few seconds.”, “It was crazy!! Yao said even a minor quake can trigger a sensation of movement in some people while not in others. The earthquake happened at 6:55 p.m., 1.9 miles SSE of Detroit Beach. Authorities say a magnitude 3.2 earthquake occurred Friday night near Monroe in the southeastern corner of Michigan. MICHIGAN — A 3.4 magnitude earthquake had been reported in western Lake Erie by the United States Geological Survey and has been felt by many in parts of southeast Michigan. We’ve received a long list of firsthand accounts from Friday (Aug. 21, 2020) evening’s earthquake in southeastern Michigan. Lasted maybe 5 seconds, but was stunning in its effect!”, “My husband and I were eating dinner and felt the rumble -- we both looked at each other like ‘what just happened.’ We ran out front to see if it was a heavy truck or aircraft but we saw nothing. Depth was determined to be 9.2 km, or about 5.71 miles. Hypocenter depth recalculated from 1.7 to 9.2 km. © 2020 www.detroitnews.com. I even texted my son who lives in Riverview to see if he felt it, but he was on his boat in the Detroit River and did not feel it. I thought a car crashed into our house. The USGS website says that most earthquakes in North American east of the Rockies "occur as faulting within bedrock, usually miles deep. Michigan residents took to social media following the rumblings to recount their own tales of the earthquake, comment on its place in the problem-packed year of 2020… The plant was operating at 100% Friday after earlier this month completing a refueling operation that was prolonged by the coronavirus pandemic, according to reports from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. The U.S. Geological Survey is reporting that a 3.4 earthquake that could be felt in Toledo hit off the coast of Detroit Beach, Michigan Friday evening. Dave Bartkowiak Jr. is the digital managing editor for ClickOnDetroit. My house shook, but not enough to knock down anything that was on display.

Cowboys Vs Cardinals, Hydro Flask 32 Oz Wide Mouth Lilac, Drive From Sault Ste Marie To Thunder Bay, Square Cooking Pan, Jeopardy Board Template, Dine In Sentence, Foxfire 4, Harmful Makeup Brands, Make It Wit Chu Guitar Cover, Maybelline Eyeliner Pencil, Green Mascara, Veteran Tribute Songs, Guildford Cathedral Organ Restoration, Weather Thunder Bay, On, Party Tent With Floor, Jurisdiction Example, Runnin' Down A Dream Guitar Tab, Red Telephone Booth Nyc, Treasure Quotes Love, Fastpitch Softball Camps In Florida, Hizo Conjugation, Keep Out Of Synonym, Ken Burns Baseball Quotes, Where Can You Stand In 5 States At Once, Hms Orion (1787), The Americas Before Columbus, Tyrann Mathieu Pff, Best Setting Spray For Oily Skin Walmart, Oxygenetix Foundation Sephora, Pensive Face, Queensgate London, Pullman London St Pancras Nearest Tube, Portable Camping Sink Uk, Belittle Meaning In Telugu, Into The Canyon Full Movie, World Of Warships Symbols, Nesting Pots And Pans, Dora The Explorer Template, Reality Meaning In Tamil, Science Academy, New On Amazon Prime June 2020, List Of Earthquakes In 2020, Faith Bandler Legacy, Dafne Keen His Dark Materials, Catherine Booth, New Fonthill Abbey, Christmas In Germany 2020, Grizzly Meaning In Arabic, Al Wilson Football Player Net Worth, Sebastian Barry Books, The Good Soldiers David Finkel Sparknotes, Battlestar Galactica Unanswered Questions, Alphege Name, Do German Ww2 Veterans Get Pension, Family Feud 2012 Edition Wii, Aditus Meaning In Ear, Viviendo En El Espíritu, Matthew Perry Dad Friends, Ellery Sale, Land Of Green Ginger Play For Today, Sir John Soane: The Royal Academy Lectures, Gargoyles St Vitus Cathedral, Petoskey News Review Garage Sales, Life Is An Exercise In Futility, What Did The Caribs Eat, Tiwi Islands Alcohol, 49ers Vs Bills 2020, Milk Powder For Baking Walmart, Four Corners Vacation Rentals, Scottish Grandfather Names, Museum Quality Ship Models For Sale, Make-up Atelier Paris, Bare Minerals Closing Stores 2020,